The first pieces of Moorcroft Pottery were designed in 1897 by William Moorcroft
shortly after he was employed as a designer at the Washington Works, Burslem in 1897.
Fine design work and the consummate skills of the tube-liners and decorators not only
launched the Moorcroft name to an enthusiastic public worldwide but also started a
Moorcroft tradition of gold medals, awards and two Royal Appointments for the company.
It was in 1928 that Queen Mary appointed W. Moorcroft Limited,
Potters to H.M. THE QUEEN,
an honour which William accepted on behalf
of the company which bears his name and which
also accepted in 1946 following his father’s death.
The quality of Moorcroft’s design and decoration means that one hundred years
later the company
is still supplying Liberty of London and Shreve & Co
of San Francisco but by 1997 many other
prestigious retail names have been added to the list.
Moorcroft pottery from this era can be found in museums throughout the world
including the Victoria and Albert Museum in London.